Food is not about impressing people. It’s about making them feel comfortable.- Ina Garten, ‘The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook’
If you’re looking for an easy “comfort food” recipe to munch on as a snack, look no further. Try baking these jalapeno cheddar cornbread muffins!
Why bake it?
These cornbread muffins are so full of flavor — from the jalapeno and cheddar and the secret ingredient, honey. This bread is also not dry like other cornbread recipes.
The best thing is you can also freeze them! Just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds (or broil in the oven) and they taste as good as when they just came out of the oven.
You can also just bake it in a cake/loaf pan and slice it up like normal cornbread, and substitute the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I actually prefer it with whole wheat as I found out!
Best eaten with?
These Honey Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins are best eaten with some warm chili or soup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon of lemon juice/apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12-cup mini muffin tin or regular muffin tin.
- If you don't have buttermilk, combine milk and lemon juice/apple cider vinegar in a cup and set aside for 5 minutes until the milk curdles.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs and honey.
- Pour dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
- Fold in jalapenos and cheese to combine.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.
- Place into oven and bake for 15-17 minutes. Around the 10 minute mark, feel free to top it with a little cheddar cheese a thin slice of jalapeno then pop it back in the oven.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with honey (optional) and cool on a wire rack.
- I prefer to use mini muffin tins for this so it's easier to snack on.