Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
― Anne Frank
There are so many beautiful things in the world. Sometimes we are so focused on the bad that it prevents us to be happy.
Cinnamon rolls are synonymous with “fattening” and “high calorie” to me. However, they are also absolutely delicious and beautiful! Homemade ones are especially extra special.
The first time I ever had homemade cinnamon rolls was in Singapore. I was there for a music event for school and I was staying with a really nice host family. The host mom served it to me warm and I can never forget how comforting and homey it tasted.
No Yeast Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls that is Almost Vegan
To be honest, this is the first EVER cinnamon roll recipe I have ever made. I always stayed away because I typically don’t like recipes that have yeast when I have to wait for the dough to rise.
However, this is a no yeast recipe! Moreover, it’s made from whole wheat flour!
It’s fast, easy and most of all, healthy.
It’s originally vegan, but I’m not AND I don’t have almond milk just lying around so I guess it is “almost vegan”.
I used to think that all vegan recipes would taste bland like bird food (because of all the seeds they put in), but I’ve come to realize that some vegan recipes actually taste good! Or maybe it’s because I cheat and still use regular milk?
Best paired with?
These no yeast whole wheat cinnamon rolls are best eaten with chai tea, or some hot chocolate.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons applesauce, cold butter, or Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup unsweetened milk (almond, regular, or whatever milk you drink)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or Earth Balance
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of cream cheese (whipped is better!)
- 1 – 3 tablespoons of unsweetened milk (add based on desired consistency)
- a pinch (or more) of brown sugar for that bit of sweetness
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a small cake pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in the applesauce (or cut in pieces of butter) until mixture resembles coarse pebbles. Chill for 10 minutes.
- While waiting, combine brown sugar with cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside. Mix milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes until milk curdles.
- Add half of the cinnamon sugar mixture to the flour mixture, and gently stir the milk until the mixture becomes dough-like in texture.
- In a floured surface, roll out dough into a rectangular sheet of about 1/4" thickness.
- Brush the surface with melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Carefully roll into a log and cut into 9 - 12 equal segments.
- Place the rolls face up in the cake pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
- Combine three ingredients for cream cheese icing and spread on top of your rolls.
- Best gobbled up while it's still warm, and topped with cream cheese icing!