My love is pizza shaped. Won’t you have a slice? It’s circular, so there’s enough to go around.
― Dora J. Arod, Love quotes for the ages. And the ageless sages.
Conversations with Pizza
I love eating you and I love making you as well, especially if I already have a pre-made pizza dough they sell in grocery stores, but why do you make me feel like crap afterwards?
I am sorry if I have made you feel like crap before, and probably cause you to gain a few extra pounds, especially in college. However, fret no more. I have a solution!
Do you know that there are so many things that you can do to make me more low-fat and low-carb?
- Substitute my carb-loaded crust for vegetables, such as cauliflower, carrot, spaghetti squash or sweet potato!
- Cut back on greasy meat toppings, such as bacon and pepperoni and add more nutritious toppings, such as apples, figs, strawberries, and other fruits and vegetables.
Now, please go make yourself a no-guilt pizza and stop blaming your food for your guilty feelings.
Why bake it?
As you can tell from my conversation with pizza, this particular Strawberry Goat Cheese Carrot Pizza recipe is one of the “healthier” and “no-guilt inducing” versions of pizza.
I first came across a recipe for strawberry basil balsamic pizza made on regular dough and I thought it was really interesting because strawberries are basically tomato’s fancier, sweeter (and sexier) cousins. Am I right?
And then, I realized, why not make a vegetable pizza crust? I’ve heard of cauliflower pizza crusts before, but I was curious to see if they had one for carrots — and they do!
So, here it is. My “No Guilt” Strawberry Goat Cheese Carrot Pizza.
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 dollops of goat cheese
- 5 pieces of strawberries, chopped
- Chopped dill or basil
- Tomato or white sauce (optional; I did not put this because there is already a balsamic dressing, but if you want, you can)
- 2-3 teaspoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel carrots and blend in a food processor, or juicer.
- If blended in a food processor, put in a cheese cloth and strain as much water as you can. If placed in juicer, just take the pulp out.
- Combine the carrot pulp with minced garlic, mozzarella cheese and egg.
- Flatten out and place on top of parchment paper (not wax paper! as I've learned, or foil because this dough is quite prone to sticking), making sure the dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 - 30 minutes until the dough is looks toasty and firmer. (Try lifting it up to see if it is firm enough.)
- Place toppings any way you want except for honey and bake for about 5 - 10 minutes, and broil for about 2 minutes. Make sure you keep watch so that the crust doesn't get burned.
- Combine honey and balsamic vinegar and drizzle on top of pizza.
- Take a picture of your lovely creation.
- Brag to your friends on social media about your healthy no-guilt pizza :)
- Remember to use a non stick pan or parchment paper so the dough doesn't stick, and also feel free to cook it longer if you feel like the dough is too soft.