Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one. – Dr. Seuss
What do you do when you have leftover polenta? Bake it of course!
I initially wanted to make polenta fries, however, I flattened out my polenta into a circle when I baked it, and it just looked so much like pizza crust that I couldn’t resist trying out a new pizza recipe.
This would be Pizza Experiment # 3: Strawberry Jalapeno Lemon Polenta Pizza.
Please check out my other pizza experiments here:
- Pizza Experiment # 1: Strawberry Goat Cheese Carrot Pizza.
- Pizza Experiment # 2: Figs Apples Blue Cheese on Carrot Flatbread
Also, if you’re looking for an easy polenta recipe, try my Easy Creamy Cheesy Chivey Polenta recipe.
Toppings Inspiration from Margarita
As I started brainstorming for possible toppings, I looked in my fridge and I saw some strawberries. I’ve actually made strawberry pizza before, but I wanted to try it with other toppings.
One of my friends just started getting into cocktail infusions and one of his tequila infusions uses Strawberry and Jalapeno, which is really good on a margarita with some lime juice!
So I figured, instead of limes, which I did not have, why not throw a lemon in there?
I also decided to use tomato sauce as a base sauce and some mozzarella cheese. It turned out to be really colorful!
Pair it with?
Since the polenta is already rich and cheesy, and I added some more cheese to it, this pizza would go well with something light, like salad. I just chopped up some red cabbage, carrots, apples and cucumbers and squeezed some orange juice to it. Also added a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar with olive oil and pepper.
I really hope you enjoy this Strawberry Jalapeno Lemon Polenta Pizza recipe as much as I did!
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of Polenta
- 3-4 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of pasta sauce
- sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Flatten out leftover polenta on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper making sure it's about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 - 40 min until firm (you don't want it to be soft inside). Broil for about 5 minutes on each side until crust turns golden brown.
- When polenta crust is done, brush pasta sauce on top. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese and place thinly sliced strawberries, jalapeno and lemon. Slice lemons really thin so they roast more easily.
- Bake for about 5 - 10 minutes and broil for about 2 - 4 minutes, or until golden brown and toppings looks roasted.
- Slice it up and serve!
- Pair with some salad.